Australia offers migrants the chance at Permanent Residency, on the basis of their skills, qualifications and work experience alone, without the need for an employer to sponsor them.

These visas are points-tested, meaning that you are assigned points based on particular characteristics such as your highest level qualifications, age and years of work experience in a relevant occupation. Applicants must have at least ‘competent English’ (6 in all bands in an IELTS examination), be 45 years of age and possess a positive skills assessment from an independent third-party authority. 

It is a great idea to have a consultation with a  migration agent prior to lodging your application as there are frequently inconsistencies between the requirements for a positive skills assessment and the requirements for the visa from the Department of Home Affairs. Some General Skilled Visas may also require you to secure a nomination from a state migration authority to support your application.

Applicants that lodge their own Skilled Independent Visas (Subclass 189) can frequently make mistakes with regards to calculating their points. This can result in a refusal at the time it reaches an assessing officer because it means that you did not have the points that you claimed. This may cause further problems if your application was supported by a State Nomination, as circumstances may have now changed which make you ineligible for a further nomination.

Migration agents have access to internal Departmental Policy which assists them in calculating your points. Special rules can apply for different occupations under policy which is not published on the Department’s website.

Government fees for General Skilled Migration Visas currently sit at $4,045. Keep in mind there may be extra costs associated with English language examinations, skills assessment applications, State Nomination applications and any extra dependent family members you are seeking to include in your application.

With the exception of the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 491), these visas are Permanent Residency applications. Applicants on the Subclass 491 visa will need to live and work in a regional area for a specified period of time before they can apply for Permanent Visa under the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa (subclass 191).

There are a number of visas in this category including the Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189), Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190) and the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 491).

Fair Go Visa Consultants will meet with you to discuss your circumstances and your achievable points score. We will be able to assess your eligibility for a skills assessment, and subsequent pathway to Permanent Residency.


Applying for a visa can be confusing but we are here to help. Now that you have a basic understanding of how this visa works, book in a consultation so that we can discuss how we can help you start your new life in Australia. 




Alternatively, please fill in the below form so we can answer your questions.

Your Details

Let us know how to get back to you.

How can we help?

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything you want to know before booking a consultation.

Provide as much detail as possible regarding your circumstances and your question/s.