Working Holiday Visa Changes

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) and Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) holders (‘WHV’) will be able to work for the same employer for 12 months and complete broader types of “specified work”. The changes were announced on 17 February 2020 as part of the Australian Government’s policy to assist bushfire-affected communities.

These changes will provide greater opportunities for those on WHVs to earn a living and work towards the requirements for Second and Third WHVs. The changes will also give WHV holders more of a chance to plan their Australia Permanent Residency pathways for example through PartnerGeneral SkilledEmployer Sponsored or other visa pathways.  

12 Months Work With The Same Employer

As at 17 February 2020, WHV holders can work for up to 12 months with the same employer/ organisation where the work involves assisting bushfire recovery efforts. The Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs provide examples of the type of work that would be covered in his joint media release. The work was described to include things like:

  • Helping to rebuild homes, fences and farms.
  • Assisting with demolition and land clearing.
  • Repairing dams, roads and railways.

Usually WHV holders would have to apply for permission to work for longer than six months with the same employer using Form 1445. This change adds to other circumstances in which permission is not required to work for longer than six months for the same employ

Updates To “Specified Work” Definition

 The definition for “specified work” will also be updated to count paid or volunteer bushfire recovery work. This will eventually mean that this kind of work can be relied upon to meet the specified work requirements to apply for second or third WHVs. To be eligible for a Second WHV applicants must complete 3 months of specified work while holding their First WHV. Eligibility for a Third WHV requires six months of specified work while holding a Second WHV.

How We Can Help

Fair Go Visa Consultants can help you to determine your eligibility for your First, Second or Third Working Holiday Visas. For example, we can discuss what qualifications you may require, the age cut offs for certain countries and how to demonstrate sufficient funds. We can also help you plan and prepare for future so you can increase the likelihood of obtaining Australian Permanent Residency. If you would like our assistance, book a consultation using the tool below. You can also find out more about our eligibility consultations or ask a question about our services using the form at the end of the page.



Alternatively, please fill in the below form so we can answer your questions.

Your Details

Let us know how to get back to you.

How can we help?

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything you want to know before booking a consultation.

Provide as much detail as possible regarding your circumstances and your question/s.